Domestic Violence-Deserted Women Domestic Violence-Deserted Women

Domestic Violence-Deserted Women



If you are an Indian citizen in need of support due to domestic violence, contact the Consulate General of India, Atlanta for assistance.Click here to send email bullet

If this is an emergency situation and your safety or the safety of any family members are in danger, please call the police immediately.

Indian Spouses and Parents:

Government of India remains concerned about the security and well-being of Indians living overseas and of particular concern is the welfare of Indian spouses who are victims of domestic violence.  

Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007  bullet

Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs-website: bullet

Legal and financial assistance is provided to deserted Indian women on merit-cum-need basis by Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA). Further details i.e. scheme guidelines, application proforma for applying for financial assistance, etc. are available on MOIA’s website

Find the details below regarding the objective and scheme. Find full details and information regarding scope, eligibility and other details at the links provided.

Assistance Scheme for Deserted Indian Women Link : bullet

 Scheme/Objective bullet
 Proforma bullet


The objective of the scheme is to provide some financial assistance to needy
women in distress who have been deserted by their overseas Indian spouses for
obtaining counseling and legal services. The term “Overseas Indian” would
include NRIs and foreign citizens of Indian origin. The counseling and legal
services would be provided through credible Indian Women’s Organizations/
Indian Community Associations/NGOs identified for providing such services and
empanelled with the Indian Missions in the USA, the UK, Canada, Australia,
New Zealand and the Gulf. The scheme is a welfare measure to support women
of Indian origin in distress, through the mobilization of the local Indian community in the endeavor and with some financial assistance from the Government.